Accused or arrested of online solicitation of a minor and need a criminal defense attorney in Fort Worth or Tarrant County, Texas? We offer a tailored, strategic defense for the toughest, most serious cases. Your defense starts from the minute you contact us. All of our criminal lawyers are former prosecutors and Partner Colin McLaughlin is Board Certified in Criminal Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization and is a former sex crimes prosecutor in Tarrant County, Texas.
CALL TODAY AT 817-334-7900
ONLINE SOLICITATION OF A MINOR | COMPUTER & CYBER CRIMES DEFENSE ATTORNEY | SEX CRIMES LAWYER | FORT WORTH & COLLEYVILLE, TEXAS
Arrested or accused of online solicitation of a minor or a similar offense? Being accused or arrested of a sex crime is serious matter and you need an experienced Fort Worth sex crimes lawyer in Tarrant County to help in your defense.
Our criminal lawyers at Hoeller McLaughlin PLLC are all former felony prosecutors, with vast experience representing clients accused of computer and cyber crimes. Partner Colin McLaughlin is a former felony prosecutor assigned to special crimes unit at the Tarrant County District Attorney’s office, where he specialized in sex crimes. He is also Board Certified in Criminal Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. Managing Partner Bryan Hoeller is a former felony prosecutor in Tarrant County and Dallas County, Texas and has been named a Texas Super Lawyer for 2023 by Thomson Reuters and a Super Lawyers Rising Star for 2018, 2019, and 2020.
OUR STRATEGY IN FIGHTING YOUR CHARGE:
Our strategy at Hoeller McLaughlin PLLC is simple: Be 100% committed to holding the State of Texas to the highest burden of proof – Beyond a Reasonable Doubt. That includes:
- Case Review & Investigation: The first part of the our defense starts with a thorough evaluation and investigation into the criminal allegation, including investigating the background of any potential witness to the case (criminal history or any past history that would help in your defense), reviewing for possible defenses (i.e. self-defense), and determining if the State can even prove their charge.
- Expert Analysis: If necessary, our strategy also involves getting the best investigators and experts throughout the Country to aid in your defense (DNA Experts, Blood Experts, Fingerprint Experts, Computer Forensic Experts, Former Police Officers, Detectives, FBI Agents, Etc.)
- Mitigation: Any proper defense includes helping our clients put themselves in the best light to be viewed by the State, the Judge, or a potential jury. This includes making sure our clients are getting the proper treatment, if necessary, or being proactive about mitigating any damage.
Specific to Online Solicitation of a Minor, we may look at:
- Is there doubt about whether the other “person” you were communicating with was actually a minor?
- Was the goal to role-play with a consenting adult and you thought you were communicating with an adult?
- Did you show up to the location or just communicate via direct messages (Text, Snap, etc.)?
- Was there any intent to actually meet up with the other “person”?
- How old are you in comparison to the other “person” because there is Romeo and Juliet laws in Texas, where it’s not unlawful if you are within 3 years of the other person in certain circumstances to have a sexual encounter?
- Are you willing to take a PSY evaluation, which can often times mitigate and/or analyze various risk factors and defenses we may try and prevent?
Sex Offender Registration
Whether you are charged with the Second Degree or the Third Degree version of online solicitation of a minor, they both require by Chapter 62 of the Code of Criminal Procedure to register as a sex offender during any punishment (prison or probation) period, plus ten years after you completed any court mandated punishment. This is mandatory and cannot be negotiated or waived by the Judge or the State. The only way to avoid having to register is to get the case dismissed, no billed by a Grand Jury, or reduced to a lesser offense that does not require registration. This is why it is very important to have the right lawyer fighting your case.
Connect with a Fort Worth Criminal Defense Attorney
If you’ve found yourself facing an online solicitation of a minor charge and are frantically Googling criminal defense attorney Tarrant County or something similar, don’t panic.
We know this is a tough situation to be in, but you still have options. The best way to make sure that those options are in your favor is by hiring an experienced Fort Worth criminal defense lawyer. Your lawyer will advocate for your rights and help you navigate the confusing legal process.
Our firm provides quality legal services to clients throughout Tarrant County. It’s important to remember that every case is different, and even if you feel completely hopeless about yours, there are ways to protect yourself from harsh consequences and maybe even have some of these charges reduced or dropped.
If you need a Fort Worth criminal defense lawyer on your side during this difficult time, please contact Hoeller McLaughlin PLLC by calling 817-334-7900 or by filling out the following online contact form.