Our Fort Worth criminal attorney uses the five following challenges to eyewitness identification. While an eyewitness identification used to be considered highly reliable, that thinking has changed. Here are the reasons:
- Witness duress and stress. A witness is likely seeing violence and/or lots of motion and might not be able to concentrate.
- Presence of a weapon. Studies have shown that the witness will focus on weapon to the exclusion of everything else, including the perpetrator.
- Racism. A witness might tend to choose a suspect of a different race or associate certain crimes with other races.
- Law enforcement. Witnesses might be pressured or coerced by law enforcement to step forward.
- Media involvement. A witness might try to play a hero role.
Contact the Law Office of Bryan P. Hoeller, our Fort Worth criminal attorney, for help with your case.